Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Opposing People

I just read this really interesting article about why Tom (NT) Wright is so often opposed by Reformed types. FWIW, I think there's a lot of truth in it and that all too often it's to do with pride.

I haven't read enough Wright (yet) to fully understand all of his controversial positions. But, for example, the stuff I've read about the tenses of justification seemed perfectly sensible and I've seen that grossly misunderstood and misrepresented by Christians who should know better. I commented on that a bit more here.

I don't know Wright's opinions on a lot of things. Where I do know his opinions, I don't always agree with him. I do know that he is probably the most important living theologian, that he has done probably more than anyone else in recent years in moving the direction of the doctrine of a lot of the C of E towards a more evangelical position and that if he expresses an opinion it is at least worth thinking seriously about.

I've downloaded a talk by Don Carson (whom I also respect hugely) about some of Wright's views, and will listen to that they probably report back here.

No comments: